Urgent & Emergency Care
Nurse Advice Line
Have Health Questions? Call the TRICARE Nurse Advice Line.
Sometimes it’s hard to know when to seek medical help for urgent health problems. Having access to a trusted medical professional at a moment’s notice is invaluable....The NAL is a team of registered nurses who answer urgent healthcare questions. They give beneficiaries professional medical advice to help decide whether self-care is the best option, or they should see a healthcare provider. They will recommend if it’s ok to wait for care, or if beneficiaries should seek emergency or urgent care. There is always a live person on the line to answer health questions.
To access the NAL dial 1-800-TRICARE (874-2273) and select option 1.
Call 911 or immediately go to the nearest emergency room. No referral needed.
What is “Emergency Care?”
• Absence of immediate medical attention will result in a threat to life, limb or sight.
• When a person has severe, painful symptoms requiring immediate attention to relieve suffering.
Contact your clinic Primary Care Manager (PCM) within 24 hours or the next business day after receiving emergency care to coordinate additional and/or follow-up care.
Beneficiary must contact PCM or Duty Provider (available 24 hours a day 7 days a week).
A referral is required before seeking care at an urgent care facility.
What is "Urgent Care?"
• A medically necessary service within 24 hours.
• A medically necessary service that will NOT result in further disability or death if not treated immediately.
• Requires professional attention within 24 hours as delay could develop into an emergency.
How do I reach my Primary Care Provider?
Important numbers to use 24/7 or when an Urgent Care referral is necessary.
• Naval Health Clinic Quantico (703) 784-1725
• Officer Candidate School (OCS) (703) 784-2062 or 2063
• The Basic School (TBS) - call the Officer Candidate School (703) 784-2062 or 2063
• Washington Navy Yard Branch Health Clinic - notify TRICARE at 1-877-874-2273 and contact your PCM the next business day.
Point of Service Option
Beneficiary seeks care without contacting a Primary Care Manager or Duty Provider (Available 24/7) and becomes financially responsible for the care.
What is "Point of Service?
• Beneficiaries are financially responsible for care including a $300.00 deductible and 50 percent cost share, but allows Non Active Duty TRICARE Prime enrollees to receive non-emergency, TRICARE-covered services from any TRICARE-authorized provider without a Primary Care Manager Referral or regional contractor authorization.